National Afrikaans Literature Museum
This building originally accommodated the government structures of the Republic of the Orange Free State in the 1800s and is reminiscent of the old Cape-Dutch architecture in the area. The National Afrikaans Literature Museum, with its large collection of Afrikaans literature and manuscripts, as well as artifacts belonging to well-known Afrikaans writers, is housed in this building.
This interesting building dating from the 1800s was previously the official residence of the presidents of the former Republic of the Orange Free State.
This humble, thatched-roof building with a dung floor was erected in 1849. Since then it has served as a church, conference chamber, parliament house and school for the inhabitants of Bloemfontein and the Free State. Documentation relating to the origin of Bloemfontein can be seen in this museum. The Wagon Museum behind the First Raadsaal is also well worth a visit.
This building is the only twin-spire Dutch Reformed Church in southern Africa. The building was completed in 1880 on the site of a much smaller church where the famous Rev Andrew Murray had been a minister. Here the last three presidents of the former Republic of the Orange Free State took oath of office.
This cathedral is regarded as the spiritual heart of Bloemfontein’s Anglican community and the city’s founder, Major Henry Douglas Warden, laid its foundation stone in 1850.
Thomas Maphikela was one of the founding members of the ANC in Bloemfontein in 1912. His double-storey house, where important ANC meetings were held, has been declared a National Monument.