The Appeal Court was completed in 1929 and serves as the highest court in South Africa. The stinkwood-panelled courtroom is probably the most magnificent in the country, while the judges’ library adds dignity to the already outstanding building. Bloemfontein has been South Africa’s judicial capital since 1910.
The Supreme Court, opposite the Fire Station in President Brand Street, is the seat of the provincial court of law. The magnificent interior merits a visit. Civil as well as criminal cases from all over the Free State are heard here. It was built in 1909 at a cost of £ 60 000.
In the 1800s the Fourth Raadsaal, an impressive and well-designed classical structure, housed the legislature of the former Republic of the Orange Free State. The building is presently home to the Free State Provincial Legislature.
This building, with an extraordinary stained glass and concrete panel especially visible at night, houses offices of the Free State Provincial Government.
Provincial Government Building
Previously known as the CR Swart Building, this magnificent high rise structure houses departments of the Free State Provincial Government and the head office of the Performing Arts Council of the Free State (PACOFS).
Bram Fischer Building
This modern glass construction was inaugurated in 1992 and serves as the headquarters of the MANGAUNG Local Municipality.